Earlier this year, 2,566 people did something remarkable: they backed our idea for MATTER on Kickstarter. We’d asked for help in creating a new home for high-quality journalism, and the response was extraordinary: we passed our $50,000 target in less than 48 hours and finished on $140,000, which was a record for a publishing project at the time.
We know it’s been a long time coming, but now we can finally show you what that support — your support — helped build.
The first MATTER story, titled Do No Harm is live at our website now. We’re really proud of the piece, and the photography that goes with it. Our Kickstarter backers should have received an email with an invitation to read; other people will have to pay 99 cents to get the story, which you can read on the web or in ebook form.
If you’re new to MATTER you can choose to join our existing supporters by signing up to our Membership programme, which costs you 99 cents each month and gives you access to extras like an audiobook version of the story.
What’s next? We’ll be smoothing out the rough edges on the website, adding more features and, most importantly, getting our second story ready. We’re starting off by publishing monthly as we fine-tune our workflow, so it should be out in mid-December.
We’d also like to ask one more thing of you: if you like the story, tell everybody you know. Seriously. The Kickstarter response was fantastic, but we’re still a small publication with almost no name recognition. The more you do to get the word out, the stronger MATTER will be. And if you don’t like the story, or our site, please email us at email@example.com to tell us why.
We’re incredibly grateful to you, and to our amazing team who have worked tirelessly to get the show up and running: on the website side, Phil, Paul and Jeremy, and on the editorial side all of our contributors (you can check out the credits at the bottom of the story to see who worked on it).
Bobbie & Jim
- phridee likes this
- byderekj reblogged this from readmatter and added:
- litrock reblogged this from readmatter and added:
- martinloetscher likes this
- 6stronghands likes this
- richardaguardian likes this
- studio-md likes this
- stephenabbott reblogged this from readmatter
- stephenabbott likes this
- saila likes this
- misantropo reblogged this from futurejournalismproject
- truthandvirtues likes this
- nevadunn likes this
- mauricecherry reblogged this from futurejournalismproject and added:
- zenmasterstation likes this
- secretstosuccess likes this
- bencourts likes this
- lostreib likes this
- g1rlwh01sh0t reblogged this from poptech
- bloodyoaths reblogged this from futurejournalismproject
- bloodyoaths likes this
- seashelllz likes this
- hairtrending reblogged this from newsweek
- jimrehs likes this
- kari-shma likes this
- cyrsreed likes this
- nancym reblogged this from readmatter
- nancym likes this
- 0x52-0x48 reblogged this from poptech
- burgospost likes this
- briclopedia reblogged this from futurejournalismproject
- karion likes this
- gallarusarts likes this
- galleycat reblogged this from readmatter and added:
- heal-by-ear likes this
- briclopedia likes this
- jennfrank likes this
- poetryofblood reblogged this from poptech and added:
- flame821 reblogged this from newsweek and added:
- flame821 likes this
- random-finds likes this
- gerdamcdonough likes this
- dfong1 likes this
- bpdd likes this
- perfectvillain likes this
- presidents likes this
- idontcareiloveitt likes this
- frontofbook reblogged this from poptech
- lvnte likes this
- theeasterparade reblogged this from newsweek and added: